Monday, May 3, 2010

The Lesson I've Learned

This is my last column as the editor in chief of the Tyler Junior College Apache Pow Wow. I will miss it very much but I pray God leads me to bigger and better things. Enjoy. 


As summer and graduation approaches, I find it necessary to reflect on lessons learned during my time as editor in chief. I came into this position with the mindset that this would be easy, everyone would listen and it would all be a breeze. But boy was I wrong. 

I have learned that as a leader, you must earn respect and respect others to be respected. Mind you, I'm a pretty respectful person, but we all screw up sometimes. 




There have been people that I have met, and had to work with that deserve no sort of respect, and it was quite difficult to be the mature adult in the situation. I, of course, did not succeed every time, but I did try to learn from my mistakes. 

A great lesson I have learned is that humility is sometimes the best way to go about a problem. There are other people better than you and I at whatever we do. Always acknowledge them, know that they can help you succeed. Pride can destroy you and all you work for. Don't let it get in the way of your success. 

"Humility leads to strength and not to weakness. It is the highest form of self-respect to admit mistakes and to make amends for them," said John J. McCloy assistant Secretary of State during WWII. 

When you mess up, admit it and then fix it. Don't lay blame on someone else's shoulders. This will only cause bitterness and problems. Learn from your mistakes and move on, using the lesson you learned to better yourself.

Also, be openminded. See things from someone else's point of view. No, you don't always have to agree with the person, but don't disrespect them because your opinions don't match.

Tom Robbins, an American novelist, once said to stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach. Meaning, know what you have decided and why, but be openminded to how you approach things, because your way may not always be the best way. 

I'm hoping that this bit of insight of what I have learned this semester will help you in your journey through the rest of your college days and throughout the remainder of your life. Remember to shoot for the stars, take chances and learn from everything that you possibly can.



Published 4/30/10

No comments:

Post a Comment